Temple Location :
About the Temple:
Sri Neervannaperumal Temple, Thiruneermalai is one among the 108 Divyadesams found in Chennai near Tambaram (Thondai Nadu).
In this Sthalam, the Perumal is found is various positions as Nindraan, Irunthaan, Kidanthaan and Nadanthaan Thirukkolam.
This Sthalam is situated in Tamil Nadu, Chengulpet District. We can reach the temple by travelling around 4 Kms from Pallavaram Railway Station, which is about 7 Kms from Chennai.
This Thiruneermalai Kshetram is also called as "Thoyagiri Kshetram" and also as "Thothadri". Thoya means "Water" and Adhiri means "Mountain" (malai). Since the mountain is surrounded by water, this sthalam is named as "Thiru Neermalai".
- The Perumal shows his 4 sevas in this temple (ie) - Nindra, Iruntha, Kidantha and Nadantha Thirukkolmas.
- It is said that once Thirumangai Alwar came here to get the Dharshan of the Perumal. At that time, the mountain was fully surrounded by water and he waited for six months to worship the Perumal. After all the water drained, he went up the mountain and worshipped the Perumal. The place where Thirumangai Alwar stayed is called as "Thiru Mangai Alwarpuram".
Moolavar and Thaayar:
The Perumal gives his seva in four different positions.
- Sri Neervannar - Nindra Thirukkolam.
- Lord Narasimhar - Irundha Thirukkolam.
- Lord Ranganathar - Kidantha Thirukkolam.
- Lord Thiruvikraman - Nadantha Thirukkolam.
The Neervannar is found in Nindra (standing) thirukkolam facing his Thirumugham towards East direction. He is also named as Neelamugil Vannan. Prathyaksham (seva) for Thondaimaan, Brighu Munivar and Maarkandeyar.
Lord Ranganathar is found in Kidantha (lying) position facing his thirumugham towards South direction and the Sayana kolam is referred to as "Manicka Sayanam". He is lying on the Aadhiseshan under Ranga Vimaanam.
The Thayaar of this sthalam is Sri Animaa Malar Mangai and found in a separate Sannadhi.
|According to Thirumangai Alwar, Thiruneer Malai is referred to:|
|Thiruvaali||Narasiman (Irundha Thirukkolam)|
|Thirukudanthai||Aarai Amuthai (Kidantha Thirukkolam)|
|Thirukoviloor||Ulagalanthaan (ThiruVikrama kolam)|
Thus, in Thiruneermalai Divyadesam, we can see all the four forms of the Perumal together.
In this temple, Muni Valmiki worshipped Eari Kidantha (Aranganathan), Iruntha (Narasimar), Nadantha (Thiruvikraman) Kola seva of the Perumal. After worshipping all the 3 sevas, he came down from the mountain to worship Lord Rama. Knowing this Lord Vishnu gave darshan as Sri Ramar and Lakshmi Piratti as Seetha and Aadisesha as Lakshman and Sangu and Chakram as Baratha chatrukanan. Lord Vigneshwar as Sugreev and Garudan as Hanuman.
- Thirumangai Alwar - 19 Paasurams
- Bhudathalwar - 1 Paasuram
Total - 20
- Kshri includes Karunya, Sidha and Swarna Pushkarani.
- Kshri Pushkarani for Kidantha Perumal.
- Karunya Pushkarani for Nindra Perumal.
- Sittha Pushkarani for Ulagalantha Perumal.
- Swarna Pushkarani for Veetruntha Paramapatha Emperuman.
The Pushkarani is found along with the Neerazhi Mandapam.
In Kulakarai, Vasantha Mandapam is found.
- Ranga Vimaanam - Sri Ranganathar.
- Santha Vimaanam - Lord Narasimhar.
- Thoyagiri Vimaanam - Ulagalantha Perumal.