Like how, India is surrounded by Oceans and Sea, the Bhakti is also spread throughout our Country. Emperumaan Sriman Narayanan who is the Paramathma is found in all of the minds and heart of the Jeevathmas, is found from Kanyakumari to Himalayas in various Thirukkolams (posture or position) in various Sthalams.
Out of these Sthalams, Alwars, who are said to be the Hamsam of Sriman Narayanan, have sung Mangalasasanam (praising of the Perumal) on the Perumal and there are totally 108 Sthalams where Alwars have done Mangalasasanam on the Perumal. These 108 Vishnu Sthalams are called as "Divyadesams".
Emperumaan, Sriman Narayanan is found in various Thirukkolam. The Thirukkolam in 108 Divyadesams
are given below:
- Kidantha Thirukkolam ( Sleeping Position ) - 27 Divyadesams
- Veetrirundha Thirukkolam ( Sitting Position ) - 21 Divyadesams
- Nindra Thirukkolam ( Standing Position ) - 60 Divyadesams
In these 108 Divyadesams, as we have seen that the Perumal is found on various Thirukkolam,
he is also facing his Thirumugham on various directions and giving his seva, which are as
- Towards East direction - 79 Divyadesams
- Towards West direction - 19 Divyadesams
- Towards North direction - 3 Divyadesams
- Towards South direction - 7 Divyadesams
These 108 Divyadesams are found throughout our Indian country and they are divided into 7
categories. There are as follows.